Preparations for The Eid Prayer
The first of Shawwaal is known as Eid ul-Fitr, and the tenth of Zil Hijah is known as Eid ul-Ad’haa.
Both these days are days of festivity and celebration in Islam.
The Best Way To Prepare is in accordance with the actions of Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم
Thirteen things are sunnah on the day of Eid:
1. To adorn oneself according to the Shariah.
2. To have a bath.
3. To use miswaak.
4. To wear the best of clothing which one possesses.
5. To apply perfume.
Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Ibn as-Sabbaq that the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said in a jumuah, “Muslims! Allaah has made this day a festival day (id) so do ghusl, and it will not harm whoever has perfume to apply some of it, and use a tooth-stick . ”
(Malik Muwatta Book #2, Hadith #2.33.115)
6. To wake up very early in the morning.
7. To go early to the Eid prayer place.
8. To eat something sweet, such as dates, before going to the Eid prayer place for Eidul Fitr and to eat something after the prayer on Eidul-Adha.
Narrated Anas bin Malik,: Allah’s Apostle never proceeded (for the prayer) on the Day of ‘Id-ul-Fitr unless he had eaten some dates. Anas also narrated: The Prophet used to eat odd number of dates.
(Bukhari Book #15, Hadith #73)
Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that Said al-Musayyab told him that people used to be told to eat on the day of Fitr before setting out. Malik said that he did not consider that people had to do that for adha.
(Malik Muwatta Book #10, Hadith #10.3.7)
9. To give the sadaqatul fitr before going to the Eid prayer place.
Narrated Ibn ‘Umar: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) ordered the people to pay zakat-ul-fitr before going to the ‘Id prayer. (Bukhari Book #25, Hadith #585)
10. To offer the Eid prayer in the Eid prayer place. That is, one should not offer Eid prayer in the masjid without any valid reason.
11. To return from the Eid prayer place taking a route that is different from the one that he had taken when going towards the Eid prayer place.
Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar: The Apostle of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) went out by one road on the day of the ‘Id (festival) and returned by another. (Abu Dawood Book #3, Hadith #1152).
12. To go to the Eid prayer place on foot
13. Recite the following Takbir on the way to Salaat and until the beginning of Salaat-al-Eid:
الله اكبر الله اكبر
لا اله الا الله
الله اكبر الله اكبر
Allaahu Akbar, Allaahu Akbar. Laa ilaaha illallaah. Allaahu Akbar, Allaahu Akbar, Wa lillaahil Hamd.
Allaah is great, Allaah is great. There is no god but Allaah. Allaah is great, Allaah is great. And all praises are for Allaah.