THE EID PRAYER
The second obligation on ‘Eid day is to perform the ‘Eid prayer.
Some rules in this respect are mentioned hereunder:
1. The Eid prayer is Wajib (obligatory) on every male Muslim.
2. The Eid prayer can be performed any time between the Ishraq and Zawal.
3. It is preferable that the ‘Eid prayer is performed at an open field and not in a mosque. However, if, it is difficult for any reason to perform it in an open field, it can also be performed in a big mosque.
4. It is not advisable to hold the ‘Eid prayer in every mosque, rather it is preferable that the people from several small mosques get together to either perform it in an open field or, in its absence, in a big mosque which can accommodate a large number of people.
5. No Nafl Salah can be performed before the ‘Eid prayer, neither in one’s home, nor at the place of’ Eid prayer. Similarly, Nafl prayer cannot be performed after the Eid prayer at the same place. However, it can be performed after one comes back to his home.
6. The Eid prayer has neither Adhan nor Iqamah.
DESCRIPTION OF HOW TO PRAY THE EID PRAYER
“The method of offering Eid ul-Fitr prayer according to the Hanafi Fiqh is as follows:
the following intention should be made:
“I intend offering two rakaats (wajib) of Eid ul-Fitr prayer with six extra takbeers.”
* He must recite the thanaa’ and then say Allaahu Akbar three times.
* Each time that he says Allaahu Akbar, he should raise his hands to his ears just as he does for the takbeer-e-tahreemah.
* After making the takbeer, he should let his hands rest at his sides.
* In-between each takbeer, he should pause to such an extent that he can read subHaanallaah three times.
* After the third takbeer, he should not rest his hands but tie them.
* He should then read the ta’awwudh and bismillaah, Surah Faatihah and another Surah.
* Thereafter, he should make his ruku and sajdahs and stand up as he normally does.
*In the second rakaat, he should first recite Surah Faatihah and another Surah.
*Thereafter, he should make three takbeers and tie his hands each time but after the third takbeer he should not tie his hands but leave them at his sides.
*He should then make one more takbeer and go into ruku.
*After the prayer, the imam has to stand on the mimbar and deliver two khutbahs.
*He should sit down in-between the two khutbahs to the extent that he sits between the khutbahs of Friday.”
(Taleemul Haq, Darul Ishaat)